It is the 4th of July, but that does not necessarily make it hot in San Francisco. Despite the recent heat wave, the city was a little chilly tonight. So, we added heat somewhere else– our kitchen. Since we decided to go very bright and a bit eclectic in our kitchen, I thought why not add some more vibrance. I really just liked the idea of having “some like it hot,” in my kitchen. Talk about kitschy.
We have a small ledge along the top back wall of our kitchen, just tall enough for small decorative pieces. We originally had planned on adding Mexican tiles there, but instead I combined the quote with the tile idea. It is far from perfect, which I kind of like, as it matches our impromptu paint job. Again, it was pretty easy and very inexpensive. All it took were some 6″x6″ tiles from Home Depot, paint ( I used left over from other projects) and stencils… or a very steady hand. We have a dye cut machine at work, so making a stencil was probably a little easier for me.
Here’s what you need:
- tiles ( I used Home Depot’s 6″x6″ for $.86 each)
- a tall person to place the tiles (John)
Here’s what we did:
- I painted tiles in alternating colors (for the most part).
- After the first coat dried, I retouched.
- I laid the stencil down on top of the tile.
- I painted the stencil with white paint ( then retouched after it dried).
- John helped me place them along the ledge.