We’ve been focusing a lot on decorating and updating the inside of the house that the outside started to get a little neglected. We recently added a few things to our front yard to make it more welcoming. A friend of mine showed me a fabulous planter on pinterest that inspired this next project. I wanted to add some brightness to the porch when you walk in. This past weekend John and I went to The Home Depot to pick out some new planters and flowers for the front yard—it was in need of a little TLC. Between work, visitors and travel, we haven’t had a lot of time to decompress or work on the house. We tried to get back into things this weekend, just in time for 3 back-to-back visitors, our annual fundraiser for work and our trip abroad. This may be the last project for awhile, but at least it’s one of the first things you see.
How We Did It:
- I bought a mid-sized terra cotta planter from Home Depot.
- Then I painted the outside with left over red interior paint. (Our porch is covered, so this should be fine. Use exterior if it will actually be exposed to the outside).
- After I let the paint dry (two coats) I stenciled on the numbers with white paint and a small craft paintbrush. (I made my own stencil with a printer, card stock and box cutter knife). You can purchase the stencils for about $5.00 from Home Depot or any hardware or craft store.
- John and I chose a white flower to stand out against the red and to make the white numbers pop.
- After the planter dried, we planted the flowers and placed it on the front porch.
What You Need:
- Terra cotta planter
- Paint (exterior); two contrasting colors
- Paint brushes—small for stenciling; medium for pot
- Potting soil
We ended up with a unique way to display our address.