We’re back with a lot of new ideas to share this year. We apologize for the break, but between the holidays, travel and house projects, we got a little sidetracked.
To be fair, it was the end of last year that spearheaded most of our projects. The holiday season gave me a great excuse to try some new crafts and décor. Conveniently, a friend and entrepreneur, Julienne Oyler started a nonprofit for young entrepreneurs in Africa (AEC) and was looking for a fundraising venue. We jumped at the opportunity, and in addition to helping raise funds for this amazing organization, a house-party fundraiser was the perfect way to motivate us to get some work done in and around the house. More to come in future posts (including the kitchen facelift), but for now let’s start small.
The fundraiser was a success, but when it was time to take down the holiday decorations, I realized I was ready for another change. (John does not embrace change quite as emphatically as I, but in the end he’s usually pleased). I basically modified some of my holiday décor for the coffee table centerpiece and made a more year-round version. With a little spray paint, glue guy and some upcycling; I give you easy, inexpensive tabletop decorations.
- Wine bottle(s)—We have a reserve of these.
- Glass bottle (I found an old milk bottle from a thrift store.)
- Cotton/Poly rope (clothesline)
- Glue gun
- Spray paint
- Scrap material
What We Did:
Wine Bottle Vase: This was pretty easy actually.
- I spray paint the wine bottle once to get it coated, then let it dry.
- Then I spray it again for better coverage, and then set to dry again.
- The last spray is to be sure that the bottle is coated evenly with as few drip marks as possible. If you try to get the whole bottle covered in one shot, then you get too much paint, which ends in drip marks.
Rope Wrapped Vase:
- The vase I bought had a strange little pattern design around the middle of it.
- I used the rope to cover the strange pattern and to give it a nautical look.
- I glue gunned the starting point of the rope to the glass bottle, then began turning the bottle, so the rope wrapped around it.
- Every few sections, I glued down the rope to be sure it did not move.
- I glued the ends onto the bottle, then let it sit to dry.
Rose Bud Twigs:
- Since we do not have a lot of birch trees around here, I cheated. I spray painted a few twigs white while I was spray painting the wine bottle. After I let them dry, I started working on the small flower buds, using pieces of scrap material.
- I followed the guidelines I found on a different blog on how to make paper rose buds.
- I substituted material for paper. See this link for step-by-step directions. (http://dozidesign.blogspot.com/2008/05/paper-flower-tutorial.html)
Simple, Affordable, Change. Hello, 2013.